Sunday, July 25, 2010

Frock it like it's hot


While in Sydney this week I was lucky enough to visit Frock Stars at the Powerhouse Museum (Open 22 April - 10 October), 2 1/2 hours later I left with a massive smile permanently fixed to my face.  If you get a chance you have to go and see it, the opportunity to view a Dion Lee dress up close was fan-freaking-tastic.  No picture showed this dress in all its elegance, the intricate detail and the eatable sorbet blue was breathtaking.

The exhibition only got better; stepping through the door instantly you are met with a runway of the most inspirational and eye catching pieces from each year of Australian Fashion Week.  Then there were examples of the contents within the front row goodie bags, jealously doesn't even come close to the feeling after seeing the countless designer products they recieve.  With excitement bubbling out of me I then plonked myself on a front row seat enabling me to listen to all the big buyers and editors as they discussed what they look for and how they feel when watching a show.

This exhibition had so many interactive things to do and every process was explained.  The big names all had videos and games. Examples of what it is like for every person involved in Australian Fashion Week  - PR people, production companies, makeup and hair stylists, models and designers - is explored and dissected.  

I normally don't sit and listen to every video or read every card in a museum but nothing could pull me away.  I watched casting calls and the speedy perfection of makeup artists.  Time just escapes you in this exhibition, I could have stayed much longer but an airplane was waiting with my name on it.  It was love and just reconfirmed that this is the area I have to get into, nobody what!

Below are some pictures from the exhibition.

Love Me.




(Images: Powerhouse Museum website)

No comments:

Post a Comment