Friday, March 19, 2010

My Heels Are Packed, Im Ready To Go

It’s time for some career talk.  A few things have happened this week.  Firstly I let my inner desperation, persistence and soon to be harasser kick in.  I sent tonnes of emails out to various companies.  A few of them were agencies that look after freelance stylists, a runway event organiser and some upcoming fashion shows: Sacred Heart Fashion Show and SMFF.  I’ve given up on getting work experience so now I am aiming for some volunteer work.  No, actually, that’s a lie.  I have not given up, I’m just trying another alleyway.  Walking down another path.  If there are any companies I should consider looking into please let me know.  I am willing to take ANYTHING.  

So with all that begging and desperation seeping through my pores I had to reward myself.  What better way than to trot off to my first runway show.  I was so excited.  LMFF Metamorphosis Student Showcase here I come!  First was the dilemma on what to wear.  Let me tell you, if you haven’t been to a fashion show before then be prepared, you can wear whatever you want (as long as it’s trendy of course) but make sure you add a pair of heels. I worked out the heels memo but forgot about the dressing ‘trendy’.  Then next fun fact about runway etiquette is you can take photos during the show.  I couldn’t believe it.  There were flashes coming from everywhere.  So unfortunately I didn’t take any photos but next time I will not make that mistake.  

The student showcase was amazing.  There was a lot of black gracing the runway.  I like black but I also need a bit of colour.  I know we live in Melbourne and black is apparently our signature colour, but how about a hint of brown?  A splash of colour?  The standouts for me were Laura De Vries and Robyn Taggart.  Laura’s garments took a spin on ladies underwear.  Envisaging superman, surprisingly in a good way.  Garters, bike shorts, thigh high stockings were incorporated into her winning look.  To top it all off she remembered that black is not a colour and added pretty pastels to her collection. 

Laura De Vries told Sportsgirl that her collection stemmed from “the idea of using underwear as a form of outerwear, and also displaying finishing techniques found on the inside of garments, the idea of exposing contained detailing was then enhanced by exploring the detailing of modern interior architecture designs.”  

Robyn Taggar also integrated colour into her designs.  Through the bolts of black we saw tinges of vivid blues, yellows, oranges and purples.  But why listen to me ramble on about their clothes.  Scroll down and enjoy the photos I so gracefully pulled (stole) from Sportsgirl’s website.  Thanks Sportsgirl!

Love Me.

(The first two photos are from Laura De Vries' collection and the last two are from Robyn Taggar's collection)








No comments:

Post a Comment