Friday, March 26, 2010

Tailors may be our answer


Trends.  Seasons.  Skinny.  Curvy.  Black.  Everywhere we turn it seems we are being told what we should or should not wear.  Now sometimes this is good.  It should be heard.  It should become a mantra but sometimes it helps to criticise, to analyse.  If you don’t believe me then watch Funny Face.  It taught me one really obvious and simple rule: everyone shouldn’t wear pink head to toe.  More specifically - if you didn’t catch my Funny Face joke - is that the people who tell us these absurd creations aren’t even abiding by their own rules.  They see the lunacy of it.  They have realised that just because it sits nicely on a runway doesn’t mean it sits nicely on a street.   Kay Thompson, actress in Funny Face, highlighted this very point for her 1950s audience.

So maybe you’re beginning to re-evaluate that recent impulse purchase of a hair necklace.  Starting to wonder how much money you could have saved on clothes that don’t suit you.  Well I may have a curer. 

Tailors may be our answer. 

A little beckon of hope for those who want to create not regurgitate trends.  All those women who are recognised in society for being fashionable, for being fashion forward do not follow others.  They are not sheep, they do not see the person in-front of them and think I better act exactly as they are.  No.  They branch out and turn something quirky and unusual into a garment to be loved and admired.  

Tailors may be our answer. 

The answer for all those women and men who not only want to be ‘trendy’ but want to look GOOD as they are doing that.  Imagine how good it will feel to have someone come up and say: ‘that skirt is amazing.  It suits your body so well.  It’s so flattering.  Where did you get it?  I have the same body shape as you and I find it impossible to get anything to look that good on me.  I thought it was my fault.  But apparently not.’  You can then turn around and let them in on that little secret.  The answer is a Tailor. 

Ok I must specify something here.  When I say the answer is a Tailor what I actually mean is the answer is a GOOD tailor.  Shop around till you find someone you can trust to be quick, worth the money and has talent. 

There have been so many times I have walked for ages around the shops trying to find something very specific.  Knowing exactly what I wanted and never found it.  This winter for example I become in love with the idea of a cream skirt that came just above my knee.  I wanted this skirt to be made in heavy cotton that can be worn for winter, summer and job interviews.  I feel in love with something impossible.  It unfortunately doesn’t exist at the moment.  I do that a lot - don’t get me started on navy pants, dark brown boots, aubergine coloured tops and cream light hooded tops.  So perhaps I too should take my own advice. 

A tailor may also be MY answer.

Love Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment