Wednesday, March 31, 2010

We Don't Need To Look Good Naked... We Have Style


Happily driving down the street.  Heading into school – on a day I don’t need to, so the happy bit was a little strange really.  Music was blasting in my ear as I sung along to the latest trashy song.  Then my eyes locked onto the car in front of me. “Fashion sucks: the only label you should ask for is this one”.
 
It takes me a while to realise exactly what I was reading.  Although some people think I’m a reckless driver I do actually focus on the road.  I felt a sense of outrage.  The idea that anybody who doesn’t see the value of getting up and putting on that gorgeous skirt, dress, pants or shirt has the nerve to judge those who do.  How does liking fashion make us any more stupid than them?  This guy for instance was in a rundown, white van.  It was nothing special and neither was the man in it. 

It’s a known fact; looking good gets you further in life.  Think of it like this.  Two people go for a job interview.  One person is wearing a cute outfit; the other is wearing sweat pants.  I’m confident enough to say that the person in the cute outfit will get the job even if the other person is more qualified.  Fashion tells the world who you are, who you want to be.  Looking at a person can tell you whether they are rich or poor, do they like colour or even are they confident enough to step out of the mainstream trends. 

Why would you want to hide away from an everyday and normal expression of yourself?  Everyone has to get up in the morning and put clothes on.  You do it from birth.  Even naturalists need to put clothes on to get to a place where they are allowed to be naked – unless of course they are happy to get slapped with a indecent behaviour fine.  Why hide from clothes?  Why be scared of looking good?  Why judge those who make an effort? 

Anna Wintor, editor-in-chief of Vogue, said in The September Issue, a documentary about Vogue, that even she felt judged by her family because she puts her time and energy into clothes.  Her family however are all in more ‘serious’ professions.  If Wintor gets judged then I suppose there is no hope for us little fish.  Until fashion is seen as serious there will always be somebody thinking they are better.  Just remember, at least we look gorgeous no matter what we do.

Love Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment