Friday, April 16, 2010

How long do i have to hold my breath for?

There are many things that leave me out of breathe; the gym, the thought of drowning, that very restrictive dress in my closet, but nothing makes me gasp for more air than sending out an email to prospective work experience companies.  It has been a couple of weeks since I sent out the "please take me, please love me, please, please, PLEASE give me work experience" email.  It was time for follow-ups.  It was time to add more companies to my list.  It was time to throw my dignity out on the line and pray a bird doesn't decide to shit on it.

I didn't have to type away for long with the lack of magazines made in Melbourne; I send a follow-up email to Melbourne Wedding and Bride and a first email to The Fashion Journal.  I took a breath and its been holding ever since.

 People go on-and-on about you needing the right attitude to break this business but I don't believe that is everything.  How about talent?  I'm not sold on the idea that I have any yet, so it's hard to imagine a 30 year-old me typing away day-in and day-out.  Then again, what about the magnitude of people who are talented in areas and never get anywhere with it?  What happens to them?  How long can talent keep you going?  When does persistence and a great ability to talk yourself up become the deciding factor?

I'll keep you updated when I start breathing again.  Stay with me guys, it might be a slippery slope now, but hopefully you will be able to read me in a glossy magazine and say: "I read her first pieces of 'published' writing".  It is true, this blog does count as being published. Boo Ya!

Love Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment